This may be the best acne-fighting, rose-smelling face mask yet…
At Better Shea Butter, when we experiment with DIY skin care recipes, we try our hardest to:
a. Keep it simple but not simplistic
b. Use the exact right ingredients that will produce the results we want
Making homemade skin care products has similarities to cooking a homemade meal. Have you ever made risotto? My grandpa was a chef (even better, he was an Italian chef!) and he made a point that using Carnaroli rice over Arborio for risotto will give you the best risotto. I tried using the same recipe but switched out the type of rice, and the difference was night and day.
When creating this Rose Face Mask, we looked for the few ingredients that will both go after the dreaded pimples, and be gentle with the rest of your skin, and we figured it out!
This face mask has the perfect ingredients in the right amounts that will give you a refreshing and clean feeing, and thanks to our “secret” ingredient, will help dry out any blemishes you have without being harsh on your skin.
Acne-fighting Active Ingredient : Zinc Oxide
If you look at the ingredients deck of natural-oriented skin care products that dry out rashes (eczema, diaper, acne and blemishes), you will most likely see that Zinc Oxide is on the list.
Zinc Oxide has two awesome functions that the skin care industry couldn’t do without:
- It creates a UV barrier on your skin and prevents burns. That’s why Zinc Oxide is the active ingredient in sunscreen lotions and SPF facial moisturizers
- It is a drying mineral that when present in a mask or lotion, will dry out acne, blemishes and rashes. It is even the active ingredient in many diaper rash creams for the oh-so-delicate baby bottoms!
We source our Zinc Oxide Powder from the US – no overseas cheap-o powder, thank you very much. We also ensure it is of the purest grade with no lead or any other impurities, and we ensure it is non-nano Zinc Oxide.
The technical definition of nano size is: particles between 1 and 100 nanometers in size. To simplify this, nano particle size is one that when placed on your skin, it will go through the skin layers and straight down to your blood.
So, a non-nano, pure Zinc Oxide is what you want in your DIY acne-fighting preparations and in your sunscreens. And if you don’t have time to make your lotion at home, I hope this information will help pick the right pre-made product for your skin.
Milk Powder and Roses
Powdered milk is a great ingredient to incorporate in a face mask because it is gentle, easy to source at any grocery store, and economical.
Rose Water and Rose Otto Essential Oil will give your mask that adorable rose scent that makes this mask an awesome aromatherapy treat.
Rose Face Mask Recipe
- 4 teaspoons of Powdered Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of Zinc Oxide Powder
- 6 drops of Rose Otto essential oil
- about 1 teaspoon of Rose Water or enough to make a paste
- Mix the powdered milk and the zinc oxide powder in a small bowl. Use the back of a spoon to break down any milk powder clumps, use a fork or little whisk to incorporate the two powders really well
- Add 6 drops of Rose Otto essential oil and using the fork or whisk, mix everything well
- Add 1 teaspoon of rose water and mix well. Use a spoon and not the whisk or the mask will get “trapped” inside your whisk and will annoy you to no end
- Apply on dry face, keep on for 10 minutes, then rinse off
- To end this routine, apply a few drops of Rosehip Seed Oil to give your skin the final touch of awesomeness
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoy this wonderful mask and please leave a comment or share it with your friends 🙂