Before we dive into what we consider the Best DIY Deodorant Recipe around, let’s talk about the purpose of deodorants.
In caveman times, it was thought that having enough body odor would protect humans from being eaten by predators. Aren’t you glad we don’t have to worry about that any more? It feels good to smell nice, instead of being noticed for certain unpleasant odors.
Human sweat is normally odorless until it is swarmed by bacteria that thrive in hot, moist environments. Under arms are one of the most consistently warm areas of the human body, and when you add sweat into the mix, it’s the perfect environment for bacteria to be present. A good, non-toxic deodorant will be able to prevent these odors by fighting them at their source and warding off those nasty odor-causing bacteria.
Deodorants vs. Antiperspirants
Deodorants are products applied to the body to prevent body odor caused by bacterial breakdown in the sweat (perspiration) of areas such as the armpits, feet, and other body parts prone to perspiration.
Antiperspirants are a type of deodorant that affect odor as well as prevent sweating by means of clogging pores. Antiperspirants are applied to armpits, while deodorants can be applied to any area of the body that needs some help with body odor. It may seem convenient to apply a product which will prevent sweating, however this can be harmful for your body. Clogging pores with chemicals can cause your skin to absorb those chemicals into your bloodstream. It’s also a consideration when breast-feeding: do you want chemicals to be that close to where your baby is feeding?
Best DIY Deodorant Recipe
This recipe for deodorant is toxin-free, and it won’t clog pores or irritate skin. It feels creamy and smooth, and gets rid of those pesky odor-causing bacteria. Most DIY Deodorant Recipes use shea butter, and we do have The shea butter of all shea butters. However we tried this with Mango Butter because it is a bit lighter and odor-free, and the deodorant came out great, so here it is!
- 2 Tbsp Mango Butter or Shea Butter
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Beeswax (you can use pastilles for easy melting)
- 2 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 30 Drops Lavender Essential Oil (Optional – don’t use any essential oils for an unscented version)
- Using the double boiler method, set your stove to medium heat
- Add the Beeswax, and wait until fully melted. Then, add in your Mango Butter and Coconut Oil, until the mixture is melted and mixed well
- Remove from the heat, and immediately add in your Baking Soda and Arrowroot Powder. Use a sieve to ensure there are no clumps and stir well to combine ingredients evenly
- After 15 minutes, add in your Lavender Essential Oil, and make sure to stir again for one to two minutes. Never add your essential oils immediately after removing a mixture from heat, as high heat will kill the delicate oil scent
- Pour your mixture into a 4 oz glass jar and let it completely cool off for about 2 hours
Never used Mango Butter and want to know more? Read our post about it here!
This recipe will fill a 4 oz container to the top.
And here is your awesome, crunchy deodorant that really works! It truly is the best DIY deodorant recipe. Mango butter and coconut oil are both extremely moisturizing to skin. Coconut oil helps ward off bacteria, and mango butter comes in and adds yummy vitamins and fatty acids for your under arms to enjoy. Mango butter also adds a nice creamy texture, making this DIY deodorant easy to apply. Lavender Oil is anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial. Baking Soda and Arrowroot Powder will both fight against moisture, which is one of the leading factors which cause body odor and bacterial growth.
Try the recipe out and let us know in a comment below what you think and how it worked for you.