Lotion Bars are easy to make and help create small moments of beauty and luxury in your day-to-day life. They are environment friendly and very convenient to use at home or on the go. Simply store them on or in a little dish and use them on your body or face when needed.
These are also great as gifts for your family members, friends and coworkers. You can customize them with different shaped molds, colors and with your favorite essential oils to make them exactly how you would like.
For these lotion bars I used Mango Butter as the base ingredient.
Mango Butter is one of my go-to butters for so many things, which is why I love carrying it in my shop. It’s a very soft and nourishing butter which is lighter in texture than Shea butter, but still has a very similar nutrient profile for your skin. It’s also completely unscented, so any essential oil you choose to use with it will come through nicely. The 8 oz bricks are soft and easy to cut for any project, and melt quickly in a double boiler.
Other ingredients I used in this recipe include:
Organic Yellow Beeswax Pastilles – Beeswax pastilles are nice to use for recipes as they can be measured easily and melt quickly. I included beeswax in this recipe to help keep the lotion bar in its form in warm weather and to add the benefits of this ingredient. Beeswax naturally provides Vitamin A and antioxidants to your skin while also forming a protective barrier that helps protect your skin from pollutants in the environment. If you want your lotion bars to be vegan you can substitute this ingredient with a vegan wax such as Carnauba Wax. If you use this wax simply use 50% of the beeswax amount since Carnauba is a harder wax.
Organic Apricot Oil – a lovely, lightweight oil that is almost universally non-reactive. It is especially great for sensitive and mature skin. It is very high in super-antioxidants Vitamins C and E. This oil absorbs quickly and makes your skin radiant and has a light natural nutty scent.
Bergamot Essential Oil – this oil comes from the bergamot orange, a bitter citrus variety that is prized for its fragrant fruit. If you’ve ever had Earl Grey tea, you may have noticed how drinking it makes you feel uplifted and calm. Those are just some of the wonderful properties of bergamot oil. It’s one of my go to essential oils because it’s a little earthy, a little citrusy, and a little floral all at the same time.
Lotion Bars Recipe
- 8 oz mango butter
- 1 oz beeswax pastilles
- 1 oz apricot oil
- 5 g bergamot essential oil
- 1 tsp pink mica (optional)
- Chop your mango butter into pieces and place in a glass measuring cup
- Add the apricot oil and beeswax pastilles
- Place in a double boiler over low heat for about 15-20 minutes until everything has completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and let your mixture cool for a few minutes
- Check the temperature and make sure it is below 150 F, then add your essential oil and pink mica
- Pour mixture into your molds
- Refrigerate for about two hours
- When solid, remove them from the fridge and pop them out of the molds
- They are ready to use. Apply to the skin after a shower or bath or throughout the day as desired
- Store them on a dish or in a sealed container
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Please feel free to comment below with any feedback or questions you might have.